October 03, 2017
The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) published today an update to the questions and answers document (Q&A) on the implementation of investor protection topics under the Market in Financial Instruments Directive and Regulation (MiFID II/ MiFIR).
This updated Q&A provides clarification on the following topics:
- Best execution;
- Suitability and appropriateness;
- Recording of telephone conversations and electronic communications;
- Post-sale reporting;
- Record keeping;
- Investment advice on an independent basis;
- Inducements (research);
- Information on charges and costs;
- Underwriting and placement of a financial instrument; and
- Client categorisation.
MiFID II applies from 3 January 2018. The purpose of this Q&A is to promote common supervisory approaches and practices in the application of MiFID II/ MiFIR for investor protection topics.
The original press release can be found here on the ESMA website.