February 28, 2017
The Committee on Payments and Market Infrastructures (CPMI) and the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) have published today guidance on the Harmonisation of the Unique Transaction Identifier (UTI).
This Technical Guidance is intended to provide clear guidance as to UTI content and generation responsibilities that meets the needs of UTI users, and is global in scale, based on relevant ISO technical standards where applicable, and jurisdiction-agnostic.
The Technical Guidance provides guidance to authorities on:
- The circumstances in which a UTI should be used
- The impact of life cycle events on the UTI
- Which entity (or entities) should be responsible for generating UTIs
- When UTIs should be generated
- The UTI’s structure and format.
This Technical Guidance is provided to authorities. It is not a set of rules to be followed directly by market participants. Market participants would instead follow any rules for the UTI of the applicable reporting regime.